Tuesday, September 24, 2013

February- Annabelle's Surprising Arrival!

Wow!!! What a month February turned out to be. Annabelle decided that February 1st was the day she wanted to arrive. We were scheduled for her c-section to happen on March 7th (her actual due date was the 11th of March). Way early in the morning (aka middle of the night - 3:30am) on the 1st I got up to use the restroom - being pregnant that had been a normal middle of the night thing. Well, this time I just felt kind of funny afterwards so I woke Jeff up and told him that I thought my water broke but I wasn't sure since nothing more was happening. Being so far from my due date Jeff was not so sure so we decided to give it time to see if anything was truly happening. We were able to go back to sleep for about an hour when I woke up again just feeling a little strange then the contractions started. So we gave the on-call doctor a ring and were told to head to the hospital to see what was happening. With it being only about 4:30am we gave my mom a call (it took a few tries to wake her up) to have her come over to the house to be with Cooper while we headed off to the hospital. We also called Jeff's parents to let them know what was going on. As we drove to the hospital the contractions became much more intense. Once we got to the hospital we got checked in to a room right away. The nurses came in and checked me and it was confirmed that my water had indeed broken. I was then given medicine to stop the contractions so I could be ready for a c-section later in the day. While we were waiting for surgery we were able to call family to update them on what was happening. And to mentally prepare for the fact that soon our little girl would be born. My mom also was able to make it to the hospital and was with us for a while before surgery. My dad was hanging out with Cooper for us. The nurses let us know that our little girl might need to be on some sort of oxygen because her lungs wouldn't be quite ready since she was coming so early (5 and a half weeks early). I was then taken into surgery. It seemed like it only took minutes before I heard her first cries. So at 1:40pm on February 1st Annabelle Colleen Cary was born weighing 5lbs 10oz. I got to briefly kiss her before she was whisked away to the nursery and put on oxygen. Then I was taken back to my room for recovery. Jeff went back and forth between the nursery and my room bringing back phone pictures and little videos so that I could see our new little girl. Late that evening it was determined that she needed more specialized care so she was going to be transferred to Randall Children's Hospital NICU up at Emanuel. Before she was taken away the special team wheeled her down to my room so I could see her before she left. They also took one of my shirts to snuggle near her so that something of me was with her. Jeff and I decided that he needed to be with her at the hospital so he followed the ambulance there which left me alone at the hospital. That was a hard night to be separated from everyone. Jeff's mom and step dad were able to get on a plane the very next day and came to visit me at the hospital after they arrived with Rob and Alisha. My brother also came to see me and some other friends visited. Having visitors made me feel so much better. That night my friend, Trisha, even stayed with me at the hospital. That was so wonderful of her. The next day the doctors decided I could leave early as long as I took it easy. It was so good to know I would actually get to hold my baby soon. Jeff came and picked me up and we went home for a bit to shower and pack some stuff. It was good to get to see Cooper, Rick and Kris. Cooper had stayed with Nana and Papa the first few nights after Annabelle was born then after Rick and Kris arrived he was able to stay with them at our house so he was in his own environment. It was so great knowing that Nana and Papa had him and then grandma and grandpa. He was well loved by all during the long hospital time. While Annabelle was in the hospital we went back and forth between home and the hospital. We went home each evening to have dinner and spend time with Cooper before going back to the hospital to sleep there. We went home most every night- there were a few times we couldn't go home because of things we had to do at the hospital (one night was our infant CPR class). Cooper had a cold when Annabelle was born so he was not able to come see her for a bit. It was so great once he could finally come see his new sister. Also we were blessed with 2 baby showers while Annabelle was in the hospital (they had already been planned to happen during February since she wasn't supposed to arrive until March). One shower was done by some friends at church and my sister-in-law did a family one for us. Each day in the NICU she made little bits of progress. On Valentines Day we finally got to bring her home!! What a sweet day that was. It was so great to get to be at home all together. The rest of February was a bit of a blur as we adjusted to life at home with a 3.5 year old and a new born.

This whole experience was an interesting time for us. Annabelle is our little miracle baby and I thank God for blessing us with her. I can honestly say that all the prayers that people prayed for us made a huge difference. I truly believe that Annabelle made such amazing progress due to all those prayers. It was an amazing and humbling experience and I thank everyone for their support during that time. Also, the staff at Adventist and Randall were amazing. Everyone was so kind and helpful!


 Annabelle's Birth
Waiting for surgery.

Jeff all suited up!

All ready for surgery.

Annabelle getting all cleaned up and examined.



Cleaning up her cord.

All wrapped up. This is just before I got to see her and then she went straight to the nursery.

The start of her getting monitored.

On oxygen and with an IV in her little hand.

Her stats.

In the nursery before she got transferred to the NICU. 

NICU Time
Finally getting to hold my baby girl!!

Kangaroo care.



Annabelle on the CPAP machine and with a feeding tube so she didn't have to be on an IV.

Snuggling her little tiger.

Kangaroo time with daddy.


Her little face when they were changing out all her tubes.

No longer on CPAP. Still on some oxygen but so nice to see more of her face.

"What is with the bright lights. Just let me sleep."

Getting a little bit of a bath.

Daddy cleaning her hair.

Gotta clean her little fingers.

No longer needing the oxygen. Here she still has her feeding tube in.

Nana and Papa came to visit.


Nana holding Annabelle.

Cooper was finally healthy enough to come see his baby sister.

"Can I pet her?"

Grandma, grandpa, Cooper and daddy checking out Annabelle.

Our first family photo. (I look so tired here.)

Sarah came to visit Annabelle.

Fewer cords and able to see her sweet face. Still has in her feeding tube.

Daddy giving her a bottle. We were working on her taking all her feeds either through nursing or the bottle. It was amazing how once we got home she transitioned to nursing so well. She came home mostly wanting the bottle but after a few days with the bottle she decided that nursing was better and we haven't used the bottle much since. 



Holding daddy's hand.

Mommy giving Annabelle her bottle.

Our cozy room that was home for a few weeks.

The wall in our room was a white board. This is where the nurses and doctors wrote information about Annabelle. This had our checklist of things Annabelle had to accomplish in order to go home.

One task was called the carseat challenge. She was monitored 90 minutes to make sure oxygen levels did okay while she was in her carseat.

Melissa came to visit!!

Happy Valentines Day!! We got to head home.

iPhone Pictures During Hospital Stays
Here are some of the pictures that Jeff took to bring back to our room so I could "see" Annabelle after she was born.

Her little hand all taped up with an IV in.

The nurse brought me Annabelle's hat after she was transferred to the NICU.

When I first got to the NICU.

Holding her little hand.

Holding her for the very 1st time. She was so very tiny.



Daddy snuggling Cooper on one of our trips home in the evenings.

Story time before heading back to the hospital.

Roof top garden area at the hospital.



We decided to get some fresh air and check out the other floors of the Children's Hospital.

Cool sitting area.

I actually was able to get a picture with her eyes open.

Just her feeding tube.

Cooper wanted to take pictures with mommy's fancy camera so I was helping him out. 

Me and my little man!

Just some snuggle time. It was so great to get to snuggle with her more as she was not attached to so many machines.

Bottle time.

Cooper visiting again. He sure liked to pet her. :)

Cooper and I played a game one evening.

The Eisenzimmers came to visit. Jenn holding Annabelle.

Valentines day and heading home.

Looking tiny in her carseat but ready to head home.

First Few Weeks at Home
Cooper finally got to hold his sister.



Grandma holding Annabelle.

Getting to meet great grandma...

and great grandpa.

Group shot. 

My Valentine "bouquet" from Jeff.

Nikki holding her newest cousin.

Our little family of 4.

Snuggled up.

Cooper reading to me.

Napping together.

Cute baby booties.

Flowers from Nana and Papa.

At her check up after being home from the hospital.



Daddy and Cooper snuggles.

Baby snuggles.
Papa holding little miss.

And nana too.

Sarah and the kids came to visit. Erin was very excited to hold Annabelle.

Abby wanted a turn too.

Cooper showing Annabelle his car.

Tutu getting to hold Annabelle for the 1st time.

Grandpa Dave getting to hold her for the 1st time.

Checking out their new granddaughter.

Christi and Mili holding Annabelle.

Aunt Alisha and Uncle Rob checking out their new niece.

Newborn Pictures
Annabelle a few days home from the hospital. Such a cute little ladybug!



In mommy's arms.



My favorite. Pretty in pink.

Our sweet little Annabelle Colleen.

1 comment:

Mix of 6 said...

Love all the pictures Tracy! Thanks for sharing your special moment with us. ~Katie